By Don McCann, MA, LMT, LMHC, CSETT
The first medical resource I went to when researching for treatments for COVID-19 was Dr. Lee Cowden, Chairman of the Scientific Advisory Board of ACIM, who is a world renowned physician. Dr. Cowden was able to pass on to me treatment protocols that would be beneficial to pass on to your physician. Some of these protocols could also be utilized without physician supervision, but it would be best to have a physician supervising. I am going to list them in the order that Dr. Cowden presented to me. (all the following 1-24 are quoted from Dr. Cowden’s list – it is lengthy, but has important information. As indicated, there are items here that are to be applied by physicians only)
- Make sure the patient is in a low electromagnetic radiation environment and there is no 60 gigahertz environment.
The first instruction on this “Antiviral Treatment” handout (avoiding EMF) is VERY important! Turn off all Wi-Fi permanently& use only hard-wired internet connection. Turn off/unplug all radio-frequency burglar alarm systems. Unplug from the power source all portable phones. Put cellphones on airplane mode at all times except when making BRIEF calls using ONLY speaker-phone mode (NOT held against your head). At bedtime each night, turn the breakers off in your home’s breaker box that provide electricity to your bedroom & the room next to the head of your bed (if possible leave these breakers turned off 100% of the time). Use a faint red-LED flashlight next to your bed if you have to get up to the toilet during the night. Get into bed in a pitch-dark bedroom by 9 pm to heal your endocrine system.
If you live in a city where there is a lot of EMF coming into your home from outside your home, at least get from www.lessemf.com a “Disposable Shielding Tent” (a mylar tube 8 feet long and 10 feet in circumference for $12.95 plus $10.00 shipping). To use this, it would be best to build a PVC pipe frame to put inside the tube to keep the top two sides from touching your body (like the website picture shows), put a cotton blanket inside the tube to sleep on, and use an insulated, multistranded wire (with an alligator clip on one end of the wire to clip onto the end of the “tent” and a small “banana-plug” connector to stick into a grounded electric wall-plug socket near the tent) to ground the tent while sleeping in it. For another $4, you can buy additional mylar material (an “Emergency Blanket”) to cover both ends of the mylar tube so that no EMF can get in from the ends. To verify that the electric wall-plug by the bed is properly grounded to plug in the banana-plug from the tent, buy a 110-volt ground-fault outlet receptacle tester for about $5.
For $350 on www.lessemf.com you can buy an EMF-shielding bedroll to sleep in (called a Blok-Bag), which has a considerably better EMF shielding effect than the mylar tube, but make sure that is also grounded to the plug beside the bed and that the Blok-Bag is not touching your skin. If you prefer, you can buy an EMF-shielding canopy to put over your bed (about $1000to$1600 on www.lessemf.com), but if you sleep on any floor other than the ground floor/lowest floor of a building, you must have the legs of your bed sitting on an EMF shielding material & the material extending enough beyond the edges of the bed so that the canopy coming down from above the bed touches the EMF-shielding material on the floor all the way around the bed (no gaps).
- Vegetable Juices (or pure water with a dash of sea-salt) every 15 min. orally all waking hours (1oz/kg/day). Eat no sugar!
- For physician only: When viruses are causing shortness of breath, wheezing or a lot of cough, if possible, check arterial blood gases or at least check finger oxygen saturation
- For physician only: if O2 saturation or arterial pO2 is low, consider hyperbaric O2 treatments or at least oxygen from an oxygen concentrator or an oxygen tank via nasal cannula or via oxygen mask
- For physician only: Can consider DiMethyl SulfOxide (99.99% pure pharmaceutical grade DMSO) by IV drip to decrease lung inflammation, especially if short of breath, low O2 saturation or coughing a lot
- For physician only: if the patient has a level of serum Glucose6Phosphate Dehydrogenase (G6PD) that is in the normal range, might give intravenous sodium ascorbate (or ascorbic acid buffered with sodium bicarbonate) 25+ grams in sterile water (or in 0.45% sterile saline if sterile water is not available) every 8-24 hours, but do not use if G6PD is too low. All people would be wise to measure their G6PD levels and put that info in their wallet before they become ill.
- Take oral vitamin C/ascorbic acid (or magnesium ascorbate), starting with 2000 mg in adults and every 2 hours increase the dose by 2000 mg to bowel tolerance (having somewhat loose bowel movements between 3 and 4 times per day) but if that causes pink or reddish urine, stop the vitamin C dose [and consult your physician] until the serum G6PD can be verified to be normal (children take proportionally less vitamin C per dose based on body weight but still increase the dose by the starting dose every 2 hours). Adding 1 tsp (1000 mg of ascorbic acid per tsp) of Liposomal Vitamin C 3 times/day is usually tolerated even if G6PD is low & can be taken same day as other vitamin C. *take 500 mg Quercetin with each Vitamin C dose (even every 2 hours).
- Nutramedix Takuna-dose for approximately 150-pound adult is 30 drops every hour while awake until symptoms resolve, then every 2 hours for 24 hours, then every 4 hours for 24 hours, then every 8 hours for at least 48 hours ( proportionally more or less drops for other weights). Also Amantilla for stress & poor sleep (15-30 drops)
- Vitamin D3 (as oil-gel-cap) – adult dose is 20,000 units orally as a 1-time dose (if not already on 4000-5000 units D3 per day long-term), then continue D3 at a dose of 4000-5000 units orally daily (children and small adults take proportionally less).
- Vitamin A emulsified (NOT beta-carotene & must be taking vitamin D before adding vit A) – adult dose is 100,000 units daily orally for 4-5 days, then 20,000-25,000 units/day (children take proportionally less).
- Lugol’s iodine 2% solution – adult dose is 50-100 mg/day (=20-40 drops/day) for 3 days, then 10 drops/day (DO NOT give iodine as a tablet because that can damage the gut flora, which represents about 70% of the patient’s immunity); give proportionally less Lugol’s iodine solution for children
- For physician only: If serum creatinine is in normal range, for adults, give magnesium 150 mg/dose by slow IV drip 3x/day (plus 300-450 mg of the citrate/malate form of magnesium orally 3x/day and do daily Epsom Salt foot soaks with ¼ cup in 2 gallons warm water)
- Selenium (mono-methionate is the best form) – adult dose is 800 mcg/day for 4 days, then 200 mcg/day (proportionally less for children) plus sublingual (or liposomal) reduced L-glutathione (200-500 mg several times per day)
- Zinc 50 mg (as the citrate) 2x/day is adult dose (proportionally less for children).
- Melt 1 Coenzymated B Complex tab under the tongue twice/day (but not too late in day so sleep is not affected)
- Coenzyme Q100-200 mg (emulsified in oil-gel-cap) twice daily orally for those over 40 years old.
- MK7 form of vitamin K – 150-200 mcg daily for children and 400-450 mcg daily
- Nutramedix Burbur+Pinella (B+P) 15 drops in 2 ounces of pure water every 15 minutes as needed for toxicity (proportionally less for children). Nutramedix Resveratrol one twice daily helps to quench free radicals & inflammation
- One tsp of activated charcoal every 6-8 hours orally as needed for toxicity symptoms if B+P ineffective.
- Andrographis from Planetary Formulas (comparably good-quality company) 400-800 mg 2-4 times daily
- Nutramedix Samento & Houttuynia 30 drops of each every 2 hours while awake until symptoms resolve, then every 4 hours for 24 hours, then every 8 hours for at least 48 hours (proportionally more or less drops for other weights). Samento is an immune system adaptogen and can calm down an overactive, inflammatory response (like hydrocortisone).
- Avoid ibuprofen, acetaminophen (Tylenol), & even aspirin if you can (apply water to naked skin to evaporate heat off)
- Stop smoking & switch from ACE-inhibitor meds for high BP to other meds because ACE-inhibitors stimulate C-virus
- N-acetyl Cysteine nebulized & inhaled and Carnosine orally several times per day.
- In order of priority (if funds limited & not short of breath): 1,2, then 7 thru 24, then the rest by numerical order.
- For physician only: In order of importance (if YES shortness of breath): do 1-24 in order (doing 3-6 as best feasible based on finances and access to resources). If low blood pressure (or other signs of sepsis), add IV 50 mg of hydrocortisone, 100 mg of thiamine and 1500 mg ascorbic acid every 6 hours, then do rest of steps in order. If pink urine develops because patient has G6PD deficiency and that was not tested before giving IV vitamin C, switch to a lower dose of ascorbic acid IV and slow the infusion rate and give 1000 mg of L-glutathione slow IV push an hour after each IV ascorbic acid drip.
My thanks to Dr. Cowden for providing this information. The best possible use of this is with a physician. Some of the recommended supplements and herbs could also be used if a physician is unavailable. Those are the ones that are not indicated for physician only. Please note that Dr. Cowden is only recommending this protocol for working with a physician.
The next installment (#8) will focus on Meditation – the benefits, how to, and different types.